Today I had my check up/ NST. I was a little nervous because I would be presenting my birth plan, or what I named “My Birth Preference”.
I thought it would be a little too natural for my doctor, but as she was reading, she kept saying, “Mhm, Perfect”. Which made me feel better. I told her that if there was anything she wasn’t comfortable with I would like to discuss it. The only thing she asked for me to change slightly, was the part where I asked to not have an IV. She said it’s if fine for me to self hydrate, but she would like to have an IV put in, but not hooked up. Just in case something happens and I need medication or hydration through it, because it might be harder to get one in place if I were say, to hemorrhage. Which I understand completely, and agree. I would rather have a ‘just in case’ than have to get poked a bunch in an emergency.
But, besides that, she agreed to everything! I was worried because a lot of what I asked does take up more of her time. But she is awesome and was happy with everything!
What exactly did I put in my birth plan?
- Natural birth, no pain medications and avoiding all unnecessary interventions.
- Because I am Hypnobirthing, I ask for a very peaceful, calm environment. Dimmed lights, soft speaking, limited interruptions and as much alone time as I can be allowed.
- Self hydration.
- I would like to be allowed to move around as I feel comfortable.
- I would Like to deliver in a position comfortable for me.
- I will be delaying clamping and cutting of the umbilical cord until after it has stopped pulsing.
- Immediate skin-to-skin or “Kangaroo Care” is very important to me.
- I would like to delay all newborn procedures until after we have had time to bond and nurse.
- Baby will be exclusively breastfed and will not have any formula or pacifiers.
- Baby will room with me at all times.
Honestly, I could ask for more. But these are the things I found very important or a “must have” for this labor and birth experience. I’m so glad I can feel confident that I will be able to have the birth I want without being opposed. It’s a major weight off of me for sure!